Friday, May 22, 2009

End of soccer...at least for this spring!

Kilee's brusied hand


One of my Russian players, Ben

We had a great soccer season this year, we added some new players to our team and everyone seemed to play great together. Kilee hurt her arm halfway through the season by getting smashed between two girls as she was heading for the goal. We had x-rays and an MRI but they both turn up negative. In the end it was just a really bad sprain, which after having 5 broken arms we were very happy with until it took forever to heal. One of the highlights for me was our little Russian players. Ben and Pete are adopted from Russia, Pete has been here 3 years and Ben just over 3 months when I met him. There was quite an language barrier when we started but by the end he was speaking much more english and understanding what I was telling him to do. They had wonderful skills but had never played on a soccer team. It was fun to watch them evolve into team players. In our last game we were so far ahead that we had to pull players off as we scored so I told the boys that the only one allowed to score was one of the girls, Kat. Ben worked so hard to get the ball to her to score when he really wanted just to shoot. With a few minutes left in the game I yelled at him to SHOOT, he turned around with a puzzled look on his face and said "you say no!" I told him "now I say yes!" he looked so confused turned around and shot the ball. Over all it was a really fun season!

No comments: