Sunday, August 21, 2011

Kayla Don Turns 23

Kayla Don Heap
Born: August 16, 1988
Rexburg, Idaho

August 16, 1988 was such a scary day. After waiting 9 1/2 months for our first baby the Dr. finally decided to start me. I was due July 30 and on August 15 they decided it was time to start labor. After 23 1/2 hours of labor, trying to decided if we should do a c section or natural, 3 different doctors and a LOT of pain... Kayla finally decided to come into this world at 7:32 a.m. As soon as she was born she was taken away without even telling us if she was a boy or girl. She wasn't breathing, she was blue and her lungs were full. I didn't get to see her until 6 p.m. that night, almost 12 hours after delivering her. I thought the babies laying next to her in the incubators must have been very premature so I asked the nurse how early they were... she replied, honey they are full grown, one weighing 5.8 lbs and the other 6. Kayla weighed 8.14 and compared to the other two she looked like she was 2 months old. Going home from the hospital without her was the hardest thing I had ever done. When we finally got her home we really didn't know what to do with her, we had never been parents... I remember her crying and crying in the middle of the night and after about an hour we called the hospital to ask them if she had done that while they had taken care of her. They asked if we had tried to feed her...oops... we feed her and she went to sleep. At 2 weeks Kayla slept through the night and after staying a few days with my mom, she told me "enjoy her Kristina, you will never have another one like her." Kayla was an amazing baby, she was an amazing toddler, teen and still to this day amazes me. Happy Birthday Kayla d... hope all your wishes and dreams come true!!!

No comments: